Freedom of Contentment

Psalm 131:2 "But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me."

"Mommy, I would say these are the best cookies that you ever made, but every time they get better, so your next ones will be even better than these."  Ben, age 6

What an encourager our youngest son is and so kind-hearted.  I love being around children.  I see why my teacher friends do what they do despite all the red tape, the testing, the headaches.  I see, too, why Jesus said, "Let the children come to me for to such belongs the kingdom of God."

This week of Vacation Bible School has been so much fun.  Watching the children enjoy praising God has fed my soul.
 

As we watched the video of Yancy, the performer, on our VBS DVD, one of the little girls said, "She really loves God, you can tell."  I wonder if that can be said about me by those observing me when I'm not on "display" leading the children at VBS or singing in the choir. What about when I am rushing through Walmart or frustrated with my children for fighting or for asking for just one more thing after I've given all I had?

Last weekend, the Kris Kristofferson song kept running through my head:  "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. . ."  ("Me and Bobby McGee")

Isn't that what we are called to do in Christ?  Surrender?  Let go of  "self"?  "For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  Matthew 16:25  Once I have given up my right to have things my way, to get the rewards I feel I deserve, to have the recognition I feel I have earned, then I can be free.

That doesn't mean being a doormat, or martyr to the whims of others, always sacrificing my needs for theirs.  But losing my life for His sake means that once I have surrendered to the infinite wisdom and love Christ has, once I have submitted to His plan for my life, then I can experience the freedom found only in Him.

My husband and I are reading Each for the Other:  marriage as it's meant to be by Bryan Chapell  and I think I spend as much time debating what we are reading as listening.  Last night as he was reading a chapter aloud,  he came across this nugget of truth:  "Biblical submission ultimately is not the suppression of gifts, but the full expression of them on behalf of another."  Yes, that's it; that's what I am talking about.

God has gifted each of us uniquely.  We are called to use those gifts to bring glory to Him and to encourage and support one another.  When I realize that I am not responsible for the outcome of my ministry, that I am to give in the ways I have been called and leave the results to God, then I am free to be content.  Knowing that "I can count on God through anything; I can count on God for what I need; I can count on God 'cause He is my Creator, Provider, Protector, Savior, and King" brings peace; choosing to rest in Him makes me like a child weaned from his mother, a child happy and blessed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Villanelle on Slavery

Tag! You're it! The Meme

Little Things