Little Things

“Let us believe that God is in all our simple deeds and learn to find Him there." --A.W. Tozer

The decor I enjoy most in the Ellerbe manse kitchen, next to my children's artwork, are the antique magazine grocery ads that my parents acquired from a dealer in Wichita Falls, Texas, many years ago.  There's one Coca-Cola ad that stands out, calling Coke, "The Pause that Refreshes." This weekly blogging is just that for me, a refreshing pause in the week's busy-ness.  This past week, I joined a few friends in Ann Voskamp's Joy Dare--we find three things each day in June for which we are grateful.  Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts was what inspired this blog in the first place.  I've been sharing June's list on Facebook as a way to testify to the things around me and the wonderful Creator responsible for my joy.  After all, it is in the little things that we often find the most joy. Like when we mentioned gardening and where we would put our compost to which Ben chimed in:  "I've always wanted a compost!"  or back in autumn, when Knox and I made homemade applesauce and he exclaimed, "This belongs on the dessert aisle!"  Or when the bus driver first nicknamed D, "Cassanova," and he disembarked with a smile like he was the next Paul Newman.

Today's Joy Dare is to find three "empty" gifts:

1.  Our living room is empty as I had to clean up a big toileting accident yesterday which resulted in my renting a carpet cleaner and getting the carpet and a few chairs clean.  Nothing like a good mess to get things really clean.

2.  Having to do #1 caused Mama to have her own version of a blow-out.  There's nothing like a big cry to make you feel the good kind of empty.

3.  Our upstairs hallway and alcove is now empty.  After D's fall last week, I dismantled the trampoline and threw it out and then moved some furniture around.  I love finding extra space.

 Clouds
All of the emotion that was released yesterday created some space for writing poetry.  The following was prompted by a wordle  from last week's Sunday's Whirl:

163
Hospital Visitor

I watch the uneven, wavering gait as the man leans
on her shoulder propelling them down the hall like a steel ball in the Twilight
Zone machine that Van Carmichael gave Dad when
we were younger.

The pair bounce off walls, door jambs, stray lunch trays, but no seizure-
inducing flashing lights; the only cha-ching is from the monitors, reminding
the nurse to replenish the fluid,
check the pulse.

The all-too-familiar terrain's universal:  forced joviality, countless untouched jello,
the unmistakable scent of sanitation on steroids to cover, mask, make ineffective
sturdy bacteria, chasing the immunocompromised
in this field of dreaming;

dreams pave the way for recovery, the launch of straighter
lines, fresher smells, colors blinding, and time marked off by to-do lists:
self-imposed strictures to outline one's days.
Forget nurses' checklists, vital

signs diligently measured, tests meticulously conducted, and finally
pronouncements filed declaring your condition:  Healed or Unwell


Here's another poetic attempt using a word list from a friend with fantastic talent:
unity, immense distance, link, virtue, mortality, memento mori, chance, unsystematic, indefinability, aspects, mysteriousness, limit and foresee, dominate, insuperable, psychological barriers




Philandering Philosophy

looks for the universal in thought and
experience because Kant says that's the way

our minds work, but she (that philosophe) 
casts her lot with psychological terms

the alternative denial says (NAND)
one's a barrier to the other, can't be both mind and

experience.  She eschews unity in favor of immense 
chasms, distances never linked,

and human sympathy (a virtue) has limits that mortality 
foresees.  Her search is unsystematic, alas, 

though outlined ad infinitum.
Mysteriousness lingers round

aspects of tenuous unions--just don't believe
the exposé; it disguises as muddle-headed non-

sense the truth:  memento mori.
If you say I do, remember

by chance death comes
insuperable, but the dice

will not dominate--design foils
again.

Comments

  1. Oh man, you are SO right about #2. A good cry is the BEST release. I think I'm switching my Joy Dares to my blog too ... to better document them. I'm glad you posted this one here.

    Love your opening quote. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notes on "Hospital Visitor"

    Excellent sound/rhyme throughout.
    "dreams pave the way for recovery" ... What a profound thought.

    Love the line break at "straighter"; if that word refers to the positive aspects of leading a spiritually obedient, clean, healthy life, then yes, many kinds of recovery can be achieved by walking a "straighter" line, if you will. Not rigid, per se, but obedient in love for Christ. Does that make sense? And vice versa, recovery can make us want to be "straighter."

    I love how aware you are of the importance of intentional line breaks, both for sound and forced pausing, but also for adding hidden meanings. Like the way you broke after "vital" to stress that nurses' checklists are vital. (Did you perhaps mean for "nurses'" to be plural possessive? If so, you'll need to move the apostrophe.)

    I very much enjoyed the clear picture you created in the opening; it's very creative and effective at making an observational moment more personal. From the beginning, you're letting me know that although you appear to be writing about someone else, you're really writing about yourself. Probably your own hospital experiences, and probably your own life experiences (bouncing off walls, feeling unable to control your own circumstances and the directions in which your life goes, needing extreme guidance from others/God, etc.)

    This is a wonderful metaphor.

    And really, when you talk about "the pair," the closest antecedents are really you and your dad, not the patient and nurse. So perhaps you're secretly writing about a personal relationship more than you are strangers.

    I don't think this is intentional, but for the sake of poetic interpretation, this is what I see.

    "The all-too-familiar terrain's universal: forced joviality, countless untouched jello,
    the unmistakable scent of sanitation on steroids to cover, mask, make ineffective
    sturdy bacteria, chasing the immunocompromised
    in this field of dreaming;" ... This paragraph, for example, might give the reader clues about your relationship with your father. Some of the language here makes me think there is pain, hidden feelings/truths ... a "sanitized" relationship void of emotional connection; this, of course, causes much sorrow for the speaker. Perhaps her father is the reason she's in the hospital in the first place; maybe he's sick, and she wants to heal the relationship before he dies.

    Of course I know you and your dad are close and this is not at all about you. I'm just breaking down poetry and seeing stories that aren't really there; you know how much I love to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great read and the funny thing is--I started out the poem in first person (you were close--it's about my son and me) but I couldn't do it unless I distanced myself. And I meant for nurses' to be plural--I think it was in an earlier draft. Thanks for catching that.

      Delete
  3. Notes on "Philandering Philosophy"

    "experience. She eschews unity in favor of immense" ... Great line break/wrap-around line. "She eschews unity in favor of immense experience."

    Thanks for using "NAND"; I wasn't familiar and had to look it up. I love researching new information.

    "human sympathy (a virtue) has limits that mortality
    foresees" ... Love this.

    "sense the truth: memento mori." ... Oh yeah! So smart to break "nonsense" and use "sense" to create this stand-alone line.

    Clever, the double meaning here: "If you say I do, remember" ... "If you say I do sense the truth, remember memento mori." (I love to rework lines to find additional messages.) Also, I see, "If you say I do [marriage], remember the truth: memento mori."

    The end is my favorite part:
    "by chance death comes
    insuperable, but the dice
    will not dominate--design foils
    again"

    As a complement (and compliment) to your poem, I've just spent about 2 hours reading about Kant.

    And I agree: Nonsense is the truth. ;) Is your philosophe me?

    "Philosophes ... allowed intellectuals to freely exchange books and ideas." I love the very notion!

    You said "muddled" when you meant "muddle" up there. And also "jello" instead of "Jellos" in the other poem.

    I like that it could be either "by chance, death..." or "by [a] chance-death" (accidental).

    I also like the notion that although death is an insuperable force, you can still butt your head at it, as if you are a ram. "Do not go gentle into that good night."

    Also, as "will" means different things, you are talking about free will in the last couplet: It's all about how you use your will productively, not to dominate those around you, or even yourself, but to design "foils" (pretty things, art, leftovers hiding inside geese; hee hee).

    So, in summation, you do believe in free will, but you also believe that you should use it wisely---in controlling and mastering yourself in a loving, artistic way (rather than a harsh, dominating, and legalistic way) that will allow you to somehow be you and still obey your maker.

    That hanging "again" could be a tiny reference to reincarnation, but I really think it means to do the same thing each day ... try to manage your will with a gentle reason; control your mind and behavior in love. Each day, that is all you can do. Try again and again. ... It also sends a subliminal message for the reader to read your poem again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was as much fun reading you read as it was writing the poem. Thanks for catching "muddled" and the blogspot kept "messing" with my line breaks, so I had to change Jellos to jello to keep line breaks the way I wanted. I did have extra fun with the line breaks in this one.

      Delete
    2. Do you know how to use the "customize" tool (and then "adjust widths") to make your post column wider? This would allow you to write slightly longer lines.

      Delete
  4. Seriously, this is about God winning regardless of what we think, believe, or philosophize, and despite death's insuperable nature. HE can, and did, defeat it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Villanelle on Slavery

Tag! You're it! The Meme

walking pneumonia, the boogie woogie flu, and widespread panic 3/8/12