Lawnmower Racing, Fashion Faux Pas, and Letting Go



This happened in our little town this weekend.  The USLMRA (United States Lawn Mower Racing Association) held a race in Ellerbe, NC, to raise funds for the JRA Foundation in honor of a little girl named Taylor.  Racing 4 Taylor was great fun and my first exposure to this sport.

Who knew that lawn mowers could go so fast?  Or that anyone participated in a race like this without a cash prize or sponsors?  I would say it was just good, clean fun, but the layer of dirt I had a hard time scrubbing off insists otherwise.  But it was exciting . . . and loud. 

My eldest was mesmerized by the noise, the dust, the flags, the movement, and the fans.  Here he is after his first taste.  We went back for two more races after dropping his brothers off at home.
As one enthusiast from Michigan chanted. . .

"LAWN MOWERS RULE! LAWN MOWERS RULE! LAWN MOWERS RULE!"



sweater vest                                                                    flannel hoodie

 [Yes, I know.  This is not a hoodie at all.  I didn't want to leave my middle child out (you know what they say about the middle child).  So here's a picture that shows his happiness that only blue vanilla ice cream from The Berry Patch can provide.]

 I try to give my boys freedom in what they wear, but it is not easy.  Today my youngest brought out for my approval this sweater vest to wear over a grey flannel hoodie with fluorescent yellow check pattern.  I said, "Nope, winter and spring don't mix.  Just pick a golf shirt to wear with shorts."  Well, what he picked next was not worse, but not much better.  I heard my husband tell him on his way to show me what he had selected:  "You look nice!"  So I checked my hypercritical eye and let the boy wear crazy to church.

Does it really matter?  Why do I feel pressure that because he is the "preacher's son" he should wear the latest fashion neatly pressed and be the best behaved?  The answer is no and I don't know.

How often does this happen in my relationship with God?  He says come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest.  And I say, wait, let me get presentable first.  A little make-up here, hot rollers there, better clothes.  OK, now I am ready for your presence.  But even my Sunday best is not good enough.  My best dressings are filthy rags when it comes to God's holiness.  I will never measure up with my own fixin's.  I must come with nothing, except the mercy and grace offered by God through Jesus:

It wasn’t so long ago that we ourselves were stupid and stubborn, dupes of sin, ordered every which way by our glands, going around with a chip on our shoulder, hated and hating back. But when God, our kind and loving Savior God, stepped in, he saved us from all that. It was all his doing; we had nothing to do with it. He gave us a good bath, and we came out of it new people, washed inside and out by the Holy Spirit. Our Savior Jesus poured out new life so generously. God’s gift has restored our relationship with him and given us back our lives. And there’s more life to come—an eternity of life! You can count on this. 
                                                        (Titus 3:3-8  The Message)

So for myself:   receive mercy, surrender to grace, be washed by His Spirit.

For my boys:  give my youngest permission to wear his choice at times, especially when he has tried to follow my instruction and has almost accomplished it.  Pray for my middle son who has seemed a little down lately and maybe dance with him to "Happy" by Pharrell Williams.  As for my eldest and his enthusiasm for lawnmower racing--revel with him in the joy of competition and pure speed, no matter how unlikely the vehicle.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading--I must make time soon to watch you pack!

      Delete
  2. "I would say it was just good, clean fun, but the layer of dirt I had a hard time scrubbing off insists otherwise." Ha!

    "I must come with nothing" It does seem to work best that way.

    Regarding what our children wear, I'm the same. None of us have nice clothes. We're completely unpresentable. But my kids don't know that unless I tell them. Why would I do that? Why do I do that? My husband (also a preacher) is quick to say, "Who cares what they're wearing?" But I can't help but worry that we make him look back. I'm so stupid.

    Loved this post. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Villanelle on Slavery

Tag! You're it! The Meme

walking pneumonia, the boogie woogie flu, and widespread panic 3/8/12