Reunionizing

I know--it's not a word, unless you count the poorly written entries in the online urban dictionary.  But that's what this weekend has been about.  Having 160+ relatives in one place, seeing old pictures, hearing letters written nearly 100 years ago, witnessing how much my third/fourth cousins' children have grown:  such fun! It was amazing to see my Great Aunt "Lig" who is as elegant and ladylike as I remember her 20 years ago.  Not only is she perfectly lucid, she is also witty.  Oh and the food--my uncle and cousin, official grill masters, treated the Martin family to excellent BBQ, and everyone else brought fresh veggies and delicious desserts. What a blessing it was to be there!  Having 11 children certainly has its perks.

Friday the 13th was the first time I had driven with the boys by myself from NC to AL which brings me to my Joy Dare Day #14:  three things unexpected, unwanted and unlikely.  Unexpected:  a peaceful ride to AL and a stop at the Revolutionary War site in Camden, SC.  Unwanted:  the opportunity to overeat was met with the resolve not to get too much and to truly taste what I did get.  Unlikely:  a game of "Go Fish" with my mother, aunt, cousin, and youngest son was a great way to witness how much my little boy has grown.

And today was also a reunion of sorts.  I love my hometown church:   First United Methodist Church of Enterprise.  It was where my oldest friend and I were baptized as infants.  It was where I first heard the gospel and accepted Jesus as my Savior as an elementary student, and had lots of adventures as a youth.  It was where I, as a young girl, first sang a solo:  "Jesus, Name Above All Names" and where I, as an adult, joined The Band.   So many moments--happy, fun, tearfully transparent, and revolutionizing.

And that brings me to my next Joy Dare Day, #15:  three gifts from God's word:  1.  My dad taught the lesson at the Nursing Home today as part of the community church outreach program.  It was more of a sermon really and what fun to hear him preach it.  The folks assembled there were so grateful to God for his salvation and blessings.  It was a blessing to worship with them, singing hymns with gusto and hearing Daddy speak on the Lord's Prayer.  2. Reading The Message translation occasionally makes the Word fresh for me:  Psalm 80:19  "God, God-of-the-Angel-Armies, come back!  Smile your blessing smile:  That will be our salvation."  3.  God's "indefatigable love"  And I'll end with poetry; this time Psalm 98:

Sing to GOD a brand-new song.
He's made a world of wonders!

He rolled up his sleeves,
He set things right.

God made history with salvation,
He showed the world what he could do.

He remembered to love us, a bonus
To his dear family, Israel---indefatigable love.

The whole earth comes to attention.
Look--God's work of salvation!

Shout your praises to GOD, everybody!
Let loose and sing!  Strike up the band!

Round up an orchestra to play for GOD,
Add on a hundred-voice choir.

Feature trumpets and big trombones,
Fill the air with praises to King GOD.

Let the sea and its fish give a round of applause,
With everything living on earth joining in.

Let ocean breakers call out, "Encore!"
And mountains harmonize the finale--

A tribute to GOD when he comes,
When he comes to set the earth right.

He'll straighten out the whole world,
He'll put the world right, and everyone in it.

Comments

  1. Love reading your blog...thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love reading your blog!!! Always so insightful and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Juelie! Hope to catch up with you while we're here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great version of the Bible, especially for youth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Villanelle on Slavery

Tag! You're it! The Meme

walking pneumonia, the boogie woogie flu, and widespread panic 3/8/12